Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I submitted this to my school newspaper...




WHERE IS THE LEARNING?
Being a teacher at the Open Classroom provides many opportunities for teachers, parents, and students. What I love most about teaching at the Open Classroom is connecting the curriculum to the students. In the 3/4 blends we are starting units on the different settlers to Utah. We are looking at the minors, railroad workers, Mormons, Jews, Greeks, Slaves and many more cultures that impacted the settlement of Utah. Today I had my students load up anything they brought to school with them( backpacks, coats, lunchboxes, swimming stuff...) in a handcart that was made by a few O.C. parents. We talked about some reasons people left their homes and many belongings to start a new life out west.
As we took turns pulling the handcart around the school we made stops to ask questions. What could go wrong on the journey? What do you think the trails were like? How many miles would you walk a day? What would you do to pass the time during all the walking? If you only had a handcart for your whole family, what would you want most to bring with you?
In connecting the story of Utah to my students, I look for ways that students can experience or live the story. I want students to "wear the shoes" or lack thereof, of the settlers that came to Utah. As we look around for what is being taught, or what students are learning, I encourage parents to connect as much of their child's learning to real-life. Everywhere you look in life there is something to teach, something to learn, someone to connect with. Where is the learning? Everywhere!

1 comment:

Emily said...

What a great lesson! You're such an awesome teacher!