Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2 traditions at this time of year



It started in 2003. I was living on my own after coming home from a mission. I was with some friends and after showing them my flat, I suddenly remembered that I had fireworks leftover from the 4th of July. Being that fireworks were a big deal to my buddy and I, we went over to the church parking lot and lit some. Being that it is normally snowing, or the dead of winter on Jan. 6th, I had no guilt or worry that I too could start a forest fire!
In 2004 It was my birthday, and no one had remembered (except my mom, she called). I was attending the U of U and decided that I was going to go wander the apartment complex scrounging around for friends. Surely someone could cheer me up!
Well, it was cold and people were mellow that night. So I found whoever I could find, told them I had fireworks that I was going to light off, and we headed down to the church parking lot again. What a show! Who could ever feel old or down after fireworks???
In 2005 my friends threw me a surprise party at the Spaghetti Factory, we ate pie, and then lit off fireworks again.
PIE (- this is another tradition for me. I prefer this to cake-) and fireworks became a tradition on my birthday.
Later that year in 2005 I got married, and at my Open House I convinced my friend Quin to light off the last of my illegal fireworks. That is what the picture is at the top!
I love fireworks! I love that I have a baby who can legally have fireworks on his birthday. This year, I actually forgot to secure some fireworks, so I will have to see what I have in my food storage (Where I hide the fireworks).

2 comments:

The Bingham's said...

We might have some, I will check!

Julie said...

Where did you go on your mission? i keep forgetting to ask. I was in the Arcadia,CA mission.

Also, I get fireworks on my birthday too, but that's cause my birthday is july 6th. We always celebrated with fireworks. though usually by my birthday everyone is all partied out by then and forgets too.

Happy birthday again! hope it was grand!