Rex was put to sleep last Saturday after almost 5 years of good service and love toward his family. He was rescued from the animal shelter near a dinosaur park in Ogden, and hence received a dinosaur name. Rex Little-Foot Foster. This gallent pup was so cute! He had just arrived the day we found him. We had to wait 10 days before we could take him home. The boys were so excited! We had just moved into a house with a yard, and this yard was big enough for this growing puppy.
He became apart of the family. J-man always called him his hairy brother. When the two boys would go to visit their mom, they would call to listen to the dog and check on the dog the most.
During the last year, something changed for Rex. He became aggressive toward other dogs. After biting a 2nd dog, we decided to spend some big money (for us) on training. It was just starting to take when he got quarantined for the 3rd bite, and first official report. We waited out the time, then put him down.
I had to put him to sleep, and without going into so much detail, it ranks up there with loosing my mom. It was the worst. I had to hold him with the vet and watch his eyes close and his chest stop breathing, and let his spirit slip away.
I apologized and stroked the dog for some time before I left.
The kids had already said good-bye, but have spent most the week sad and crying at night.
Rex, today I found something buried under the deck. Today, I found a piece of you that you left behind.
Ever since we brought home the Clifford stuffed animal, you hated it. You buried it like 3 times before. I had not noticed it missing until I came in today and saw a flash of red under the deck. As I got closer, you had left one foot un-buried.
Don't worry Rex, this dog could never compare to you. You gave so much to our family. You left so much hair, this is true, but you left us wanting our shadow when we went different places in the house. It is just not the same to greet an empty yard. It just sucks with out you.
No dog will ever compare. I'm so sorry Rex. I think I miss you the most.
No comments:
Post a Comment